We have become gluten free, vegans who still eat meat but not animal products. And before you congratulate us, you should know we are really rather ticked off about it.
We no longer eat:
1. Gluten (This stuff is in SO many things you'd never suspect)
2. Eggs (I used to start every morning with a 2 egg omelet)
3. Dairy (This means almost all chocolate, people)
4. Soy (In a lot of gluten free breads)
5. Onions (That was already on the list because of my crazy airborne allergy to them)
6. Peppers: (Hot or bell in any form including spices, also my weird allergy I developed after having Max)
Numbers 1-4 have kicked my tail and are due to the food sensitivity tests done on the family this summer. Alex and I feel so much better. The other two kids are still so grouchy about not having chicken tenders from Chick-fil-A anymore, it is hard to say how they are doing even 4.5 months in.
In case you are keeping track, any food that is in a package is pretty much eliminated. And breakfast. Gone.
Basically, I've had to get smart fast about something I was not very smart about: cooking. But I have slowly become a meal planner and, some days, cook 3 hot meals. Not because I want to. But because it is helping us to feel better.
I started reading vegan cookbooks. I read one of them as I stood over a roast in the crock pot just last night.